Fish curry / macher kalia
Macher jhol / Macher kalia is a classic Bengali dish. The aroma of macher jhol / macher kalia will make you feel hungry. This recipe can be cooked with Rohu/Katla/King Fish/Surmai/Carp fish. It goes nicely with plain rice.
Fish – 4 pieces
Potato – 1 (cut into half)
Onion – 1/2 cup chopped and 1/2 cup paste
Garlic – 1/2 teaspoon
Ginger – 1/2 teaspoon
Tomato – 1 finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
Salt – as per taste
Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
Green chilies – 2 to 3
1 bay leaf, 3 green cardamoms, 1 small cinnamon stick
Ghee – 1 teaspoon
Mustard oil – 3 tablespoons
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan / wok
- Meanwhile add salt and turmeric powder to cleaned fish pieces.
- Once oil is smoking hot , bring it down to medium- high heat.
- Add the fish and fry each piece until it is golden brown.
- Now takeout the fish and keep aside.
- Now add onion, ginger and garlic to that oil. Cook on medium flame until golden brown.
- Add chopped tomato, salt and all the spice powder. Cook for few minutes .
- When the oil starts separating, add warm water.
- once it starts boiling, add fish pieces and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- At this point add ghee and garam masala powder and simmer for 4-5 minutes with lid.
- After 4- 5 minutes, turn off the heat and garnish with Green chilies and coriander leaves.
- Now serve hot fish curry with plain rice.