jhal | SPICY PRAWN CURRY
2 – 3
Chingri Macher Jhal or Spicy prawn curry is a quick and easy Bengali delicacy. You don’t need too many ingredients for this either. You may even replace prawns with shrimps.
- Jumbo prawn/shrimp
- 2-3 teaspoons Turmeric powder
- 1-2 teaspoons Red pepper powder
- 1-2 teaspoons coriander powder
- Mustard Oil – 2-3 tablespoons
- Water – 1 cup
- Clean the prawn/shrimp properly.
- Marinate the prawn/shrimp with turmeric powder and salt. Leave it for 30 minutes.
- Heat a wok (kadhai) or non-stick pan and add 2 tablespoons of mustard oil. Now fry prawn/shrimp for 3 minutes on medium heat. Turn it over and fry for another 3 to 4 minutes. It would turn pink in colour.
- Take out prawn/ shrimp and drain excess oil. In that same oil add water, turmeric, red pepper powder, salt, coriander powder and prawn/shrimp. Just make sure flame is low.
- Cook for 5-6 minuted till all the water is soaked.
- Serve hot with white rice!