Jhiri Jhiri aloo bhaja | grated potato fry
2 – 3
Jhiri Jhiri Aloo Bhaja/ Crispy grated potato fries is a very popular Bengali dish. You can find this dish in any typical Bengali wedding party , Annaprasan and other occasions. Usually, it’s served with Dal (lentils) and Bhaat (white rice). A few important things to note before you begin –
- After cutting the potatoes, you must wash it in plenty of water to get rid of starch. Best to use a potato variety that has low starch content.
- Before you start to fry, you should wipe the potatoes to clean off excess water. Moisture will spoil the crispness otherwise.
- Potatoes – 2 large
- Peanuts – 2 tablespoons
- Curry leaves – 2 tablespoons
- Vegetable Oil – For deep frying
- Peel the potatoes and wash it properly
- Grate or julienne the potatoes. It should be very thin, kind of like noodles.
- Now wash grated potatoes with running cold water. Don’t use hot or warm water .
- Drain excess water and place it in a kitchen towel or paper towel to absorb the extra water.
- Heat the refined oil in a pan or wok (kadhai).
- Fry peanuts for one minute and keep aside.
- Fry curry leaves and keep aside.
- Now fry the grated potatoes on a high flame till it is golden brown.
- Take out the fried potatoes on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Sprinkle with peanut and curry leaves and salt.
- Serve with white rice, dal.